Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Beginning

Four months from today I can file for divorce, about a month before my fourth wedding anniversary. Yes, I am counting down the days.

I guess it started out as a traditional courtship - we dated for five years before getting married. I thought I knew the man I was planning to spend the rest of my life with. Boy was I wrong!!

We met on the internet - I was 35 and he was 43. Both of us adults, never married, looking for someone.

His ad was filled with things women want to hear - mainly that he was employed and heterosexual. I guess there is no such thing as truth in advertising.

Our courtship wasn't perfect but it was pretty good. He cooked for me, helped me out when I had an allergic reaction to our birth control, made candles, and talked a good game. Too bad he couldn't sustain.

About three weeks before we got married he was laid off, or so he said. I found out later he was fired for falling asleep on the job. Not a good move for a security guard. He said he would definitely find a job when we got back from our honeymoon. That was 3 1/2 years ago and he still hasn't been able to find that job. In an area with record low unemployment. He claims age discrimination. I claim good taste - but I am a bit biased.

He has been trying to get social security because he has sleep apnea and fibromyalgia. Two illnesses that get laughed at in emergency rooms. He also - somehow - ended up with a handicapped parking tag for his truck. Someone with two problems that both benefit from walking can park right next to wherever he is going. Makes sense in his world, not mine.

I didn't leave him because of his health problems - although that is what he is telling everyone. I left him because he lied about EVERYTHING, and basically tried to gaslight me like Charles Boyer did to Ingrid Bergman in that old movie.

This blog is my way of making it thru the next four months. I have some very funny stories to tell and hope they help the next woman in my position.

No comments: